Covid-19 will be one of those events that transforms the way schools, government sectors and businesses operate now and into the foreseeable future. With difficult economic times upon us, every expense must be justified. Here are some reasons why online orientation and training is essential now and in the future:
- Remote work– Working and learning from home was a trend that started decades ago and has now accelerated with Covid-19. One estimate has 25-30% of the workforce working remotely in the next two years which will most likely increase even more as companies transition during this this crisis. Presently, almost all education is online. Even when things get back to normal, e-learning will be an even bigger part of our educational environment. With the rise of remote work and training, online orientations are no longer something “that would be nice,” but now a necessity.
- Financial benefits—Preparing for Budgets, departments are not only assessing direct costs but all indirect costs associated with orientation preparation and trainings. With online orientation accessible 24/7, schools are recognizing the cost savings of not needing to prepare staff for the next orientation since it is now all online. Administrative staff is saving time not having to answer questions when students or employees miss a session because they can now do it at on their schedule.
- Backup plans– Emergencies will always impact organizations. How many people were even thinking about a pandemic until recently? For business continuity, it is mission-critical to have technology in place that can keep operations going when the usual workplace processes are disrupted. Having remote training set up makes the process seamless.
- Flexibility– If COVID-19 has taught us anything, it’s how much the unexpected can upend our lives. It doesn’t have to be a major disaster that ruins the best-laid plans, it can be every day, unforeseen things like people out sick or students or volunteers physically unable to attend a training due to distance, cost or conflict in schedules. Online orientations can be accessed on all devices, anywhere with an internet connection, anytime.
- Social Distancing– Yes, there is the immediate public health benefit of online orientations, but will social distancing be part of a new normal? We don’t know yet, but one thing seems certain– employees, volunteers, and students probably won’t show up sick as much as they did before.
For those of you who have been using online orientation for a while, we are glad you have been able to experience the benefits. For those who are considering this type of platform, Comevo is happy to put you in touch with one of our clients to talk with them about their experience.